Thursday 20 October 2005

*ug*

So, I'm doing laundry today - a lot of it. I've been in and out of the laundry "room" several times this morning. Because it is part of what used to be a back patio there are lots of cracks and holes along the floor and the door. Because there are cracks and holes we get bugs. We also keep the dog's water and food back there - so it looks like a buffet, I guess.
I am not co-habitating with yucky bugs. Now let me define what is yucky: roaches, those big ones with the hard, reddish black, segmented exoskeletons. Ew. They creep me out. I can't even step on them because they "crunch" loudly. *shudder* SO. I decided to poison them. I put boric acid in the cracks, in the holes, and under my machines. *frown* And it works. Not instantly mind you - they still come in and wander around in the dark after we go to bed - but they don't live long enough to make a home and breed. This is a good thing in a way - for me. It's not so good for them. *frown*
I'm getting weird.
About 15 minutes ago a roach came out in daylight by the back door. It didn't run away at my approach. It sort of floundered - if a bug can do that. So, there it lay with legs twitching and and writhing in what must be a painful death.
And I feel sad. *frown* And guilty.
*UG*

6 comments:

"Mrs. C" said...

Oooh, sorry about the roaches. I hate them too... HATE them.

I never thought to use Boric acid to kill roaches. I always use Malathion-50. It's an neurotoxin pesticide.
I've sprayed it outside the perimeter of the house and the fence and poured a little down the drain, mixing it with some hot water.

It gets into the sewage system of your house (and your neighbor's house) and chases them out. It prevents them from being able to breed and also kills them by destroying their nervous system.

The drawback is that (1) It is illegal to have it in several states (2) It's corrosive and dangerous and smells terrible, and(3) It's illegal to pour it down the drain because it's poisonous to fish. HOWEVER, because it's a 50% concentration, it breaks down in about 6-weeks.

I didn't realize just how much I could write about killing roaches.

Matt said...

I heard that about a guy who got nominated for a Darwin Award after he asphyxiated himself killing bugs in his basement with a blowtorch.

Hopefully you won't go to such extremes. However, if you feel the need to lay down some fiery destruction remember: Ventilation is your friend!

Chris said...

*laugh* Gotta love those flame throwers and blowtorches! I don't have that kind of free time on my hands. *laughing* I've inhaled more than OSHA recommends of hazardous fumes before while bleaching the mold at our last house - and *groan* it doesn't feel good. Talk about a hangover! (or at least what I would imagine one to feel like, anyway. *grin*)

Sue - I don't like to use neuro-toxins...around myself, my children, or the pets. It's just too much of a hazard to OUR nervous systems! Now, sometimes you just have to - like when we came back from vacation to a home literally hopping with fleas. *shock* NASTY! We bought a lot of bug bombs.
I guess I lived in CA just long enough to become infected with a bit of enviro-nazi propaganda. *chuckle* Well, actually, I see it as part of our challenge to be good stewards (Sp?) of the earth.
I see a post in my future relating to bio-friendly alternatives to household chemicals. *laugh*

Chris said...

Oh, Pearl! That's nasty!! *laugh* I'd need some serious ear plugs! But then who would clean up the gushy stuff??? EEEWWWWW!!!
When we lived in southern CA we had them really bad - and BIG - in our detached garage. You could hear them CRUNCH when the car ran over them. *shudder* Sorry - no crunching here. I'd rather immoblize them with instant freeze, super hold hairspray and then sweep them up and deposit them in the outside trash.
*gag* Tho, I suppose someone will tell me that hairspray is not evironmentally friendly, right?*wink*

*laughing*

"Mrs. C" said...

Christy,

I totally understand about not wanting to use neurotoxin presticides.
It's just that I REALLY hate roaches more than anything. Especially the Moroccan ones that hiss... that's super creepy.

Matt said...

If you spray canned air (the kind used for cleaning electronics) while holding the can upside down, it sprays the liquid air, which will insta-freeze stuff.

I've never used it on bugs before but it will freeze flowers so they'll crumble in one squirt. It's also useful for cooling warm drinks.