Sunday 27 November 2005

and then again...

We went as a family to see the Nutcracker Ballet last night. It was a beautiful performance - even the boys enjoyed themselves and all three children danced to the car afterward. The Russian and the dance of the Rose are my favourites, and of course I love the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. On a not so good note, I had an allergic reaction to someone's perfume and today I am in a full blown state of head congestion with a severe sore throat. *sigh* I vaguely remember this mornings messege at church - something about entering God's rest...I was more focused on not clearing my throat every two minutes or worse, having a coughing fit. When we got home I made it long enough to get the kids lunch and then went to bed with Boo watching cartoons next to me while the boys played video games happily in the living room. When I got back up a couple hours later, I was very grumpy - achy still and generally *UG* feeling. The kids ended up with corndogs for dinner - again. *sigh* I griped at the kids, snapped at the kids, and was basically not a very nice mommy. *frown*

Then at dinner I remembered that this is the first night of Advent and that we were going to be getting our "ornaments" colored for our Jesse tree (which I did not explain very well to my oldest who thought we were not doing Christmas presents this year because, well...I was not clear and there was much confusion about having two trees), and then having our first family devotion tonight. What kind of attitude was I having? Was this conducive to anyone enjoying the preparation for the birth of Chirst? -NO- Would it make a lasting memory? -YES, but not a good one-

All achiness aside, I needed to step off my "poor me, I'm icky feeling" martyr box and realize the JOY. I apologized to the kids who were ever so gracious. I was forgiven and we all exchanged encouragements and then....a little bit later I was being snappy again. *frown* Lord help me, please.

I am determined and have purposed in my heart for this to be a wonderful experience for our children and to create warm, joyful memories this year to be thought upon with loving reflection in years to come. I want to impart to my children that this is not just a time for "getting" and "giving" but foremost "receiving"(Christ).

Our devotion tonight is:
Scripture: Isaiah 11:1-2
Reading: God has a plan for everything. Long before Jesus was born lived a man named Jesse. Jesse had seven sons; the youngest was named David. When David grew up, he became a great king of Israel. God had a plan for Jesse and for his son David, even before they were born.
Jesus was also a part of Jesse and David's family tree, born many, many years after David. People waited a long time for the birth of the Savior. The season of Advent is a season of waiting for us, too. We wait for Christmas, the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus.
It is hard to be patient, especially when we are waiting for something wonderful like Christmas! But it is important to learn to be patient, and to trust that God has a plan for us, too.


Patient?! Exactly the characteristic I lacked today. Lord have mercy and thank you for your grace! Let this be a season of great anticipation and joy! Amen.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I hope you're feeling better soon.

We've started our Christmas prepartions too. Fortunately, we're just now starting to bring out the Christmas music.

Last year the sibs dragged it out the day after Halloween. While I really like Christmas music, by the time Christmas arrived I was sick of it.