Monday 28 November 2005

gentle reminders

This evening as I prepared dinner for the kids (Noel was teaching class) a song came on the radio that has significance to me. The words of the songwriter mirrored my heart the year our second child was born. There was so much that I didn't understand - like why God allows babies and children (like my son) to suffer for no apparent reason for one - and I was really having a hard time dealing with it. Sometimes I still have a hard time dealing with it. Thankfully, it didn't break my faith, though I was angry with God more than I had ever felt anger before or since. One particularly rough night this song came on the radio and it was the cry of my soul and I was able to break down and cry. I did tonight as well....amidst the spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce, the forks and the cups of milk. Truthfully, I still don't understand. I will never claim to understand - and like Job, I wasn't there when the Lord created the universe or breathed life into Adam. I don't know how the stars are made. I don't know how things exist outside of our "box". But I know God has it all under control - even while I do not always agree with how things are and what He allows. He alone knows it all. And He knew I needed a good cry and a gentle reminder.
Thank you, Father.

Jesse Tree devotion
Scripture: Genesis 1:26-31
God is the creator of all things. God made the world and everything in it: the air and the water, the plants and the fish, the animals and the people. When God finished creating the world, it was perfect. When God first created people, even they were perfect. They did not sin or do anything to make God unhappy.

Even though there is now sin and and sadness in the world, God still cares for us. We have been given a beautiful world in which to live, and God has asked us to take care of it. We can care for the world by showing kindness to all living things.

The world is God's gift to us. God wants us to enjoy this gift, but God also wants us to treat it with care.


Thank you for your redeeming plan. I pray for steady, gentle surgeon hands, compassionate nurses and staff that are attentive and accomodating to our son. Please give our son your peaceful, assured presence to calm his fears. Please allow Noel to be with him as he drifts off to sleep.....keep him safe and bring everyone safely home. And also, Lord, if there is opportunity to share you let it be known.
Amen. amen....

1 comment:

Jessica Morris said...

Hi ya! Hope you're having happy pre-Christmas days!! We're drowning in snow here... well, if it were to melt we'd drown... anyways... I have some movies listed on my site - in honor of you =) Just thought I would let you know!!