Friday 9 September 2005

white noise

Lamentations 3:26 (New International Version)


26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD.


I have been meditating on this verse since yesterday evening. Amazingly, for one having such a hard time memorizing scripture, this one stuck fast. To wait quietly...sort of like being still and knowing...it's a good place to be.
I've noticed how much noise I have in my everyday life - voluntarily. (I'm not talking about the noise children make either. *smile*) I'm talking about radio, television, live stream media online added to the noises of city life - the cars, the sirens, the neighbor's dogs barking....then there's the air conditioner, the fans, the humming of electricity burning through our bank account....and don't forget the droning in my head going on about what I haven't done yet, and what I've said I'd do, and how well I'm doing what I am doing.....then add phone ringing and conversations, microwaves and timers beeping....and the cacauphany is almost more than I can bear! Oh, to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord!
So, in response to this realization, I have been turning things OFF. And in the quiet I hear songs of praise. It's not K-LOVE - it's praise music sung to me in my childhood. The hymns on the tape of music for my ballet recital when I was 5? 6? Who would ever guess that the first seeds of faith were planted by a loving ballet teacher? I listened to those over and over on my little brown fisher price tape player, even after the recital had come and gone. There are songs sung during mass during my 5th, 6th, & 7th grade years. There is music from my very first encounters with contemporary christian music - Twila Paris, and M.W. Smith. (sp. the "I 2 Eye" album that I wish I still had.)
When I am quiet..and still..I can hear the Holy Spirit prompting: to pray....to sing...to praise.
I woke up this morning with a song on my mind that I can't recall now but for the idea - a pleading for God to not foget me. Tonight as I nursed C.R. I realized I was humming a song of thankfulness...now I have this song in my heart:
Yahweh's people dance for joy,
Oh, come before the Lord,
and play for him on glad tambourine
and fill your hearts with song!
Sing a new song unto the Lord,
let your songs be sung from mountains high.
Sing a new song unto the Lord,
singing alleluja!


It's really is good to wait quietly, to be still and know He is God, and I plan to turn as much off as I can so I may wait quietly more often. \o/

2 comments:

Matt said...

It will be interesting to see how long I'll hold out before I go out and buy sound canceling headphones.

PNoel said...

My Love:
You have such a way with written words, such a way with expression. I am praying for you today, may you find a refuge from the modern intrusion. May you find joy!
Love ya!